Monday, January 30, 2006

 
I see an impending crisis coming for all of us boomers who listen to "Oldie Goldies" on the radio. I figure that most of the old hits are 30 to 40 years old, and take us all back to teenage romances, breakups, new dance crazes of those days, etc.,etc. Now, let's move forward about 30 years. Can you imagine an Oldies station playing rap music all day long, and trying to listen to it as an 80 or 90 year old?! To test my theory on what's likely to happen, I plan to take my 80 something Mother on a car trip, turn on my favorite Oldies station, and then ask," Mom, what do you think of this music?". I figure if she says something like " What is that crap?", we're all in trouble down the road. Start calling your favorite radio station to lobby for a new concept---- Super Old Golden Oldies. No, Mom, I can't find a station that plays Benny Goodman.

Have you ever watched one of those American Kennel Club dog shows on TV? I would rather watch paint dry. The handlers and the dogs get all poofed up and prance around in a circle while some grumpy looking judge names a winner and nobody knows why the dog won. I've got some great ideas to spruce things up. Give prizes for the dog who has the most breeds in one body. (I think Lucy the WonderDog would have a great shot at that one.) Have a dog fight among dogs in weight classes like boxing. Have the dogs do tricks and get prizes. Have a contest for loudest bark. The list is endless! C'mon WonderDog, time for the show.

I have a favorite dream about people who wear idiotic looking costumes in TV commercials . In my dream, the commercial ends and the poor hapless actor realizes that he cannot get the suit off and is doomed to wear it forever. My favorite candidate currently is the one where the father is dressed up as the sun while talking to his daughter about Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage. He looks so stupid, and the poor little girl comes off super dumb because she has to ask questions about what her dad does for a living. I guess things could be worse. What would a character be dressed up to look like in a Preparation H commercial?

I saw a story on the sports network recently about a megamillion dollar basketball player who refused to go into a game because the score was so one-sided. Can you imagine what would happen in the "real" world if people did that? Like--- "I'm a little off my game today, sir, so I only did a single versus a double bypass on your heart" or " I just couldn't quite get around to tightening those last bolts on that airplane wing over there." Maybe if we just reversed the pay scales of teachers and sports stars we could see a change.

The next time you see the sun set slowly over the ocean, tell me that was not created by a higher being.

See you later.

Tim

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?