Wednesday, January 18, 2006

 
Just the other day, I almost tried the automated checkout station at the market where my wife and I shop. It is one of those processes where an electronic voice and a touchscreen and barcoding are used. I figured that something was bound to explode, because a clerk was roaming among the stations helping anyone over 40 to figure the thing out. At one point, the clerk (who was over 60 herself) came over to the busy regular lines to try and get people to use the equipment. The man in front of me grumbled,"I won't do anything that takes a real person's job away." I think the clerk returned a secret smile. It didn't take me long to spot the biggest problem of all--- that automated voice does not ask whether you want "paper or plastic"! We all know how important that is--- don't we?

I have never met Tiger Kim, but he (or she) must be one of the richest people in town. He (or she) owns a spot in the shopping center near my house called "Tiger Kim's Taekwondo". I looked through the window and saw about 40 kids ages 6-12 practicing kicking people's heads in. This was around 7:00 PM when all of their buddies were at home doing normal stuff, like their homework. My theory is that the kids learning the new skill of "kikthecrapouttau" had their lunch money stolen by the school bullies and are out for revenge. Heck, if they just show up at school barefooted, and wearing those white robes and headbands and scream something like "Ahhhkeeeyaaah", I believe no one would get near them. They wouldn't even need the lessons. I wonder if I could start a karate school for 80 somethings? Hey mom--- come break this board in two!

I am sure you have seen the stores where everything sells for one dollar. I guess the whole concept rests on high volume sales of stuff the business owner bought "on the cheap". My idea is to go to the other end of the spectrum and open a $10,000 store catering to rich folks. My store would have no personnel except me, no backup inventory, and no long lines at checkout. The hours of operation would be 10AM to 10:30AM Monday. Just think, one sale at my store would be equal to 10,000 at the dollar store where they are busting a hump all day long! I'm looking for a partner. Give me a call if you're interested.

I saw something on TV recently about saving money on your power bill. It involved buying a blanket to put around your hot water heater to make it more efficient. This type of thing really makes me mad at the hot water heater company executives. I bet if you check their stock portfolios, they have about 80 million shares of Fuzzy Wuzzy Hot Water Heater Blanket Co. stock. I think that we should all boycott by not using hot water for a while. That would show them who's boss! Who will volunteer to get this campaign started?

Read a book that is totally out of your normal scope of interest and see what happens. You may have to force yourself to do the first one, but I bet you'll be surprised at the outcome.

See you later.

Tim

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?