Sunday, January 22, 2006
A retired friend of mine posed a great question on what a retiree should say when asked "What do you do for a living?" Since he hates saying "nothing", the challenge is to come up with an accurate truthful response. When I retire, I plan to rotate titles monthly. This month I could have used "dog trainer", since I've finally gotten Lucy the WonderDog to drop her tennis ball on command. (I scream DROP IT ! at the top of my lungs). Next month I could use "Project Assistant" as I help my wife with the kitchen renovation. Wait a minute, on second thought, I think I'll just say "nothing".
A good friend of mine claims that a fellow we both know actually marks his socks "left" or "right". I think the guy must be a genius, because I haven't found anyone yet who can tell me why. As for me, I've already tried buying all black socks so that I can pull them ouy of the jammed packed socks drawer with no problems. That plan broke down when I started buying different styles of black. Oh well, at least I'm not as bad as a guy I knew at work who wore two different shoes for two days in a row! He's probably in upper management by now.
Is it just me, or do people drive about 60 miles per hour in my residential neighborhood? I think all of us walkers should throw out those things that the police use to puncture tires during the chase scenes on TV. Maybe a "gentler" reminder would be a good idea, like those signs that register your speed as you come closer to them. The teenagers would probably use that as a contest. Who can get the sign to read triple digits? My wife bought some of those blinking red lights to put on for walking the WonderDog at night. (When I go with her, and there are not enough lights, the WonderDog wears the light and my wife hands me my navy blue windbreaker). I think the lights just make you an easier target for the cars. I guess I'll just keep practicing my swan dive into the nearest yard.
I met a woman in the line at McDonalds who said that she was a former police woman, and had to leave her job because of the stress that was ruining her health. The potential life-threatening situations and contact with the public were more than she could handle. I sympathized politely, shaking my head in response to some of the situations she described. As I sat down to drink my coffee, she left with her takeout order.I couldn't help but notice that she got into a car with what looked to be a young teenage girl behind the wheel. That's when I spied the sign on the side of the car " Caution Student Driver"!
I am always amazed by the views that politicians have on issues when they or a family member are affected versus when they can keep things at arm's length, and be instant experts on everything. Wouldn't it be great if they made decisions as though their own families were affected as much as the American families who were?
See you later.
Tim
A good friend of mine claims that a fellow we both know actually marks his socks "left" or "right". I think the guy must be a genius, because I haven't found anyone yet who can tell me why. As for me, I've already tried buying all black socks so that I can pull them ouy of the jammed packed socks drawer with no problems. That plan broke down when I started buying different styles of black. Oh well, at least I'm not as bad as a guy I knew at work who wore two different shoes for two days in a row! He's probably in upper management by now.
Is it just me, or do people drive about 60 miles per hour in my residential neighborhood? I think all of us walkers should throw out those things that the police use to puncture tires during the chase scenes on TV. Maybe a "gentler" reminder would be a good idea, like those signs that register your speed as you come closer to them. The teenagers would probably use that as a contest. Who can get the sign to read triple digits? My wife bought some of those blinking red lights to put on for walking the WonderDog at night. (When I go with her, and there are not enough lights, the WonderDog wears the light and my wife hands me my navy blue windbreaker). I think the lights just make you an easier target for the cars. I guess I'll just keep practicing my swan dive into the nearest yard.
I met a woman in the line at McDonalds who said that she was a former police woman, and had to leave her job because of the stress that was ruining her health. The potential life-threatening situations and contact with the public were more than she could handle. I sympathized politely, shaking my head in response to some of the situations she described. As I sat down to drink my coffee, she left with her takeout order.I couldn't help but notice that she got into a car with what looked to be a young teenage girl behind the wheel. That's when I spied the sign on the side of the car " Caution Student Driver"!
I am always amazed by the views that politicians have on issues when they or a family member are affected versus when they can keep things at arm's length, and be instant experts on everything. Wouldn't it be great if they made decisions as though their own families were affected as much as the American families who were?
See you later.
Tim