Thursday, January 26, 2006
With all of the talk lately about George Bush and Dick Cheney listening in on our phone calls, I am reminded of just how far we have come with technology since the days of Alexander G. Bell. When I was a kid, we had the early version of people listening in on calls, because we had a "party" line with our neighbors. Forget the remote chance that George or Dick would hear you talk to someone about your hemorrhoids, back then it really happened! Turn the crank,dear, and Lily will connect you.
I am amazed at the complexity of something as simple as food. Do you have an exact list of everything the experts say you should put into your body on a daily basis and do you know the exact amounts? It would take an M.I.T. graduate to be your "personal nutrition tracker" if you wanted to be accurate about it. There are about twenty various and sundry vitamins, minerals, and who knows "what elses" listed on the side of my raisin bran box. Am I taking in too much folic acid? Should I eat more stuff with zinc and copper in it? Can you overdose on Riboflavin? I think I'll just be content with worrying about everything else that can kill me, and go ahead and risk the raisin bran. Hey--- this box didn't have 2 full scoops of raisins!
Either something is wrong with my walking shoes or my fat feet are stressing the laces. It seems that those darn things are coming untied every time I walk my daily miles. I guess I'll have to buy some of those shoes with the velcro straps that take the place of laces. Velcro was invented in 1948 by a Swiss fellow named George de Mestral after a chance encounter that he and his dog (maybe some type of WonderDog?) had with cockleburrs in the woods. He noticed that the burrs had small hooks that grabbed his clothing. He and a French designer made the new fabric Velcur(velvet)Crochet(hook), hence the name VELCRO. I guess the point of the story is that anyone can become a millionaire by taking walks through the woods with their dog. C'mon Lucy, time to go!
My wife and I don't talk politics much, but I suspect she is a closet Republican, because we keep getting these automated messages from the Republican Party. Today, I answered one of their surveys the exact opposite of what they wanted to say later about how "all" people feel. For example, when they asked if I would vote for someone who would dramatically increase taxes, I said "Yes, and taxes should go up quadruple what we pay now." I bet they'll have trouble analyzing that one! Hey honey, a fellow named George is on the line and needs a minute of your time.
I heard a sermon preached that I have long forgotten, but one question posed by our pastor has stuck with me----" In terms of your life's work, would you rather be Donald Trump or Mother Theresa?" I am sure that we all fall somewhere in the middle or so of these extremes, but it does make one think about life's mission.
See you later.
Tim
I am amazed at the complexity of something as simple as food. Do you have an exact list of everything the experts say you should put into your body on a daily basis and do you know the exact amounts? It would take an M.I.T. graduate to be your "personal nutrition tracker" if you wanted to be accurate about it. There are about twenty various and sundry vitamins, minerals, and who knows "what elses" listed on the side of my raisin bran box. Am I taking in too much folic acid? Should I eat more stuff with zinc and copper in it? Can you overdose on Riboflavin? I think I'll just be content with worrying about everything else that can kill me, and go ahead and risk the raisin bran. Hey--- this box didn't have 2 full scoops of raisins!
Either something is wrong with my walking shoes or my fat feet are stressing the laces. It seems that those darn things are coming untied every time I walk my daily miles. I guess I'll have to buy some of those shoes with the velcro straps that take the place of laces. Velcro was invented in 1948 by a Swiss fellow named George de Mestral after a chance encounter that he and his dog (maybe some type of WonderDog?) had with cockleburrs in the woods. He noticed that the burrs had small hooks that grabbed his clothing. He and a French designer made the new fabric Velcur(velvet)Crochet(hook), hence the name VELCRO. I guess the point of the story is that anyone can become a millionaire by taking walks through the woods with their dog. C'mon Lucy, time to go!
My wife and I don't talk politics much, but I suspect she is a closet Republican, because we keep getting these automated messages from the Republican Party. Today, I answered one of their surveys the exact opposite of what they wanted to say later about how "all" people feel. For example, when they asked if I would vote for someone who would dramatically increase taxes, I said "Yes, and taxes should go up quadruple what we pay now." I bet they'll have trouble analyzing that one! Hey honey, a fellow named George is on the line and needs a minute of your time.
I heard a sermon preached that I have long forgotten, but one question posed by our pastor has stuck with me----" In terms of your life's work, would you rather be Donald Trump or Mother Theresa?" I am sure that we all fall somewhere in the middle or so of these extremes, but it does make one think about life's mission.
See you later.
Tim