Sunday, February 26, 2006
The Beetle, Treasure, and Chinese Zodiac

I was in the parking lot of a local bank, and was talking to a young woman who had driven up in a New Volkswagen Beetle. Of course she could hardly identify with the old "Bug". No air condition, a heater that was operated by turning a knob on the floor, and of course no automatic transmission were all standard back then. I loved our pale green vintage 60's model. I learned how to slide it around corners , at times going up on two wheels without a disaster--- that is until I slid it into the driveway, not realizing that my Dad had come home early from work that day. My driving was curtailed for quite awhile. It's too bad that the new version is known for quality problems given its appeal to those in the Boomer Generation who can certainly tell stories about their nostalgic experiences with them. ( I can do without the flower vase!)
What do you think of those metal detecting devices that you see people using to find hidden treasures at the beach or a park or wherever a lot of folks have gathered? I doubt whether anyone should quit their day job and try to make a living of it, but it looks like fun. Of course, I don't need one because my thing is to explore under the cushions of my favorite chair. About once a month, a good "shakedown" will yield enough coinage for a Happy Meal at Mc Cafe and if you add the take found in the washing machine and dryer, you could be in BigMac territory. I wonder if Bill Gates and Michael Jordan leave many hundred dollar bills in pants that go through the wash? Hey Michael, need anyone to take that hamper to the laundry?
My favorite Chinese restaurant (owned by Alan) has little paper placemats that have Chinese signs of the Zodiac. All of their signs are represented by animals, and I am very appropriately the Ox. I guess that's why I am so clumsy with anything more than tightening a screw. The latest advice was that I should not marry a snake, which I guess some men do, so instead I married a "Tiger". Hmmmmm? Maybe George Bush is a great guy after all given that he is a "Dog", and I knew this stuff was right on the money when it turns out that Cheney was---- You guessed it--- a snake! Let's also provide those guys with one of those black 8-balls; you remember, you asked it a question, flipped it over, and read the answer in a little window where the message floated. (the ball was filled with water). Let's see--- Where are the weapons of mass destruction to be found? Well, enough of that--- Hey, Rumsfeld, bring the tea leaves in here, would you?
"The same man is not skilled in everything; each has his own special excellence."
___ Euripides
See you later.
Tim