Monday, February 13, 2006

 

Global Warming and Other Troubles

I am really having trouble with the concept of "global warming." Doesn't it really depend upon the perspective of the place where you're from or even your own reactions to hot or cold? I bet if you lived at the North Pole for about a year, global warming would be a welcome thing!( that's probably true if you are from North Dakota too). I bundled up in a coat and toboggan today to walk the WonderDog. Later, when I was at the store, a young woman came in dressed in short pants and a short sleeve shirt. I couldn't resist---" You're either a Yankee or a fast runner, aren't you?", I said cautiously. She smiled and said that she had just finished a tennis game. I also remember that whenever there is "Canadian Week" at the beach, you can always tell because they will break ice to go swimming. Well, it's a sure thing that no one of us can truly define the problem, so let's just move on to the next issue. Hey, honey, turn that thermostat down---this isn't a sauna!
If you haven't heard by now, American Olympic skater Michelle Kwan has dropped out of the Olympics due to injury. She repeatedly said on TV that it was important at this time to "listen to her body ", and do the right thing. Michelle must be in her 20's. Her body has not even had half the years to talk to her as my body has talked to me! Here's what my body is saying----" Well, Buddy, Don't even think about getting out of bed today without taking my arthritis medicine.(that was my knees and feet talking) Oh, by the way, stop off at the store today for some more Preparation H.(you know who was talking then.) We're having a little flaking going on up here. How about another swig of that Head and Shoulders?(said the scalp)Don't risk any dog breath in here. Pour in the Lavoris.!(big mouth talking) Anyway, I guess your body continuing to talk to you is a good thing versus the alternative!I finally know how to solve the terror problem. Set up a hunting trip where Cheney invites Osama along for a good time! He'll never figure that one out. I guess that Dick got a little carried away on this trip. Maybe he thought the fellow was a member of the press that's been riding him for awhile. I think in the picture above, the Democrats are the fellows you can barely see in the distance.( George doesn't go on these trips!) The ear muffs are to muffle the screams of the folks saying "Cease Fire!." Poor Dick, I bet he hopes that some new war can be started to get his name out of the news. Hey you Democrats---- Let's go bungee jumping!

I am currently revisiting an old classic which I do from time to time. The latest is Walden, by Thoreau. His advice is timeless. His advocacy of a more simple lifestyle and a disdain for the clutter of life shows how wise he was for his day. Can you imagine what he would think of life in America today?

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation."

--- Henry David Thoreau

See you later.

Tim
































































































































Comments:
As you mention Preparation H, I am reminded of of a question a boy asked in a Health class I was subbing. He was a smart alleck and mouthing off kid that day. He asked "what's inside a hemorrhoid, is there puss in them"? Everyone got a big laugh as this question came from out of the blue.

Mike
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?