Thursday, February 16, 2006
Sports, Bull Terriers, and Vanity Plates
Add curling to the list of sports that makes drying paint look exciting! I guess you have to be there, but my wife commented on the near empty seats in the arena where this fireball event takes place. I can see the next headline--- CURLING SUPERSTAR INKS MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT!. The only thing I want to know is where they buy their shoes. Since they aren't falling on their butts every five seconds, I figure I could sell a pair to every 80 something in the U.S., and put the orthopedic surgeons out of business. The other thing that really gets to me on this sport is that no one can tell how it is scored or who wins except the people that are playing. I don't even know if the broadcasters have an idea. It looks to me like professional custodians could excel at this event with all of the frantic sweeping going on that you can't even tell what effect it's having. At least the ice is nice and clean.This talk of sports reminds me of something else that blows my mind about all the money that is spent on sports arenas that are used maybe twenty or thirty times a year. Look at all that space going to waste! The ideas on how these places could be used is endless. At least all of that land could be turned into tomato gardens or pretty flower beds. NASCAR tracks could be used for Driver's Ed to get the teenagers of the road until they are ready to get in real accidents with the rest of us. Oh well---- I guess the school kids will just keep having their classes in the trailers!
This is another disappointing week for the WonderDog. I heard her crying this morning, and springing into my role as Dog Whisperer, asked her what the problem was today. She said " GRRR, BowWow, Barkety Bark, Growl". Translated, that means she was pissed off that a Bull Terrier had won "Best of Show" in the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. I don't blame her one bit. If you take an ugly head and put it on the WonderDog's body, you would have a bull terrier. The thing that really got the WonderDog was that the new champ was eating steaks rather than dried cardboard tasting stuff that she eats. Life's just not fair for this Man's Best Friend!
Some of the vanity plates you see on cars could really give people the wrong idea. I'll give you three examples I've seen recently.
1. DUKIE- Now if you weren't from North Carolina, what would you think of this one? Does this person work for a roto-rooter company? Does he clean out septic tanks? Or, worse yet, is this his opinion of the person coming up behind him?
2. MY WOODIE- Oh for a double entendre! (this person was in a wood trimmed PT Cruiser) That's OK until he puts this tag on his new Hummer!
3. WALKS W/ GOD- I had to check the newspaper after seeing this one to find out if I missed the fact that George was visiting!
More to come on this later!
" Nothing at all will be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome."
--- Samuel Johnson
See you later.
Tim