Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Today is the first day of Alan Greenspan's retirement. I wonder what on earth he will do to create "irrational exuberance" in his life? I've got a suggestion--- I think ole Al ought to fish and play golf for a few days and then work at his local Mc Donalds as a burger flipper. He could get a true view of the economy that way and give advice to anyone who buys a 99 cent Happy Meal. Being on a fixed income now, he could help retirees figure out when to take their Social Security, or even tell them if they will ever draw any. Oh well, that's just one suggestion. No onions on that Quarter Pounder, Al!
It really tickles me to watch all of the young restaurant or store clerks figure out whether an aging boomer should get the Senior Citizen's Discount. Some of them confidently make a decision on their own, confident that they know an old fogey when they see one. That works just fine until they guess wrong on a female who is really only about 45 but has the wrinkles of Methusalah! A second scenario, one of my favorites, is when the pretty young female clerk politely asks as she bats her eyes,"Honey, senior citizen's discount?". I'm so happy that she had trouble deciding and seems to be a little flirty that I'd probably pay double for my burger and never think twice! I guess my next thought should be to figure out whether getting carded in the grocery store for buying a bottle of wine was good or bad.
I want to get some of my friends together and audition them for a spot on a new TV show called "Boomer American Idol". I would start the show with a celebrity guest like Bill Clinton playing his saxaphone. Then aging boomers would sing, dance, or play their favorite musical instruments. The judges would be Ralph Nader, George Foreman, and Sandra Day O'Connor. Just like the regular Idol Show, we would travel all over America finding folks who have nothing better to do than make fools of themselves. Move over Simon Cowell, here I come!
Have you ever heard of something called the "Star Registry"? Supposedly you can have a star in the sky named for a person you choose, and a framed certificate is sent to the person confirming it was done. Wow! I'm going to find out what they charge, and go into this business myself. Let's say it's a $20 fee. Well, I would charge just $10,PLUS----- I'll even set up a telescope in my back yard(next to the concession stand) so that the buyers can view their new purchase.I'll sell T-shirts like "Mike's Shooting Star", for example. The list is endless. Call me if you want to buy stock in the IPO.
Can you imagine a woman who could never have imagined how her life would be so totally changed by the course of history based solely on her choice of a husband?Thank the Lord for all strong wives, and on this day particularly Mrs. Martin Luther King.
See you later.
Tim
It really tickles me to watch all of the young restaurant or store clerks figure out whether an aging boomer should get the Senior Citizen's Discount. Some of them confidently make a decision on their own, confident that they know an old fogey when they see one. That works just fine until they guess wrong on a female who is really only about 45 but has the wrinkles of Methusalah! A second scenario, one of my favorites, is when the pretty young female clerk politely asks as she bats her eyes,"Honey, senior citizen's discount?". I'm so happy that she had trouble deciding and seems to be a little flirty that I'd probably pay double for my burger and never think twice! I guess my next thought should be to figure out whether getting carded in the grocery store for buying a bottle of wine was good or bad.
I want to get some of my friends together and audition them for a spot on a new TV show called "Boomer American Idol". I would start the show with a celebrity guest like Bill Clinton playing his saxaphone. Then aging boomers would sing, dance, or play their favorite musical instruments. The judges would be Ralph Nader, George Foreman, and Sandra Day O'Connor. Just like the regular Idol Show, we would travel all over America finding folks who have nothing better to do than make fools of themselves. Move over Simon Cowell, here I come!
Have you ever heard of something called the "Star Registry"? Supposedly you can have a star in the sky named for a person you choose, and a framed certificate is sent to the person confirming it was done. Wow! I'm going to find out what they charge, and go into this business myself. Let's say it's a $20 fee. Well, I would charge just $10,PLUS----- I'll even set up a telescope in my back yard(next to the concession stand) so that the buyers can view their new purchase.I'll sell T-shirts like "Mike's Shooting Star", for example. The list is endless. Call me if you want to buy stock in the IPO.
Can you imagine a woman who could never have imagined how her life would be so totally changed by the course of history based solely on her choice of a husband?Thank the Lord for all strong wives, and on this day particularly Mrs. Martin Luther King.
See you later.
Tim