Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

Renovations, Obituaries, and Running



This is a test. The above picture is:
a. Damage from the tsunami
b. My yard during our renovations
Well, the answer is "a", but you would really be close if you guessed "b". It doesn't help that I have become a fanatic about keeping things related to construction neat and presentable. I blame some of that on my former boss who is a dear friend of mine. I was in charge of renovating an old cotton mill which took over a year. I will never forget his obsession with keeping the bathrooms clean during the renovation. I would be wiping the bathroom fixtures with Lysol as good ole boy construction workers were still spitting on the floors! I guess that six weeks will pass quickly if my wife and I can keep from killing the workers or each other. Watch out! Here come Larry, Daryl, and his other brother Daryl.

Have you ever noticed the pictures that appear with obituaries in your local paper? If your paper is like mine, you'll see, for example, a picture of a young woman in her late twenties, and the obituary will say " The late Sally Jones went to her heavenly reward yesterday after a brief illness. Mrs. Jones, born in 1904,-------". Now wait a minute--- that makes the dear woman 102 years old! At first I thought this might be a "female" thing, but then you'll see a young blade in his army uniform and find out he's 88, and the picture is from WWII. Maybe these folks just didn't get into much picture taking after their moms and dads quit bragging about how beautiful or handsome they looked. Or, maybe they always felt they were like Dick Clark, and never looked a day over 39. I plan to solve the whole problem by not having a picture in the paper at all. That way my friends will have to remember the way I was the last time they saw me in person. (That's a great reason for never attending your high school reunion!) Dear, have you seen that picture of me at my college graduation---yes, the one with hair!

I am now working part time at a large law firm in the downtown area of my town. I'm called a "runner". A runner does a lot of neat stuff like filing papers at the Courthouse or delivering papers to City Hall, or hauling mumbo jumbo legal documents back and forth. I plan to put a pedometer on myself to see how many miles I walk in a week. At my age the job should be called "walker" instead of runner. The other runners are young folks getting ready to go to law school except for my friend who has me by a few years. He also knows everybody in every downtown building since he worked as a paralegal for several years. He's trying hard to show me the ropes. Move over Perry Mason---- here I come!

"Everything passes; everything wears out; everything breaks."
--- French proverb

See you later.

Tim






Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?