Tuesday, April 11, 2006
Ghosts, Aging, and Direction

I saw a recent TV ad for a new show called "Ghost Whisperer". I sincerely hope that ghosts are real even though I've never personally seen or talked to one. I firmly believe they exist because there is no other explanation for why I can never find the remote for the TV. As a ghost, I plan to do things like making loud noises so some people have trouble going to sleep or hiding car keys. If I were already a ghost, I would be making life tough for a selected few folks. For example, I would make whistling noises into Rush Limbaugh's microphone. Oh well, I really hope that my "ghosthood" will be delayed for awhile!
Have you ever noticed that over the years everyone looks different except for yourself and Dick Clark? I recently met, purely by accident, a woman who I had not seen in over twenty years. I would not have recognized her if my life depended on it. I guess we all get used to looking at our own "mugs" in the mirror, and don't think about the changes like we do when we see others after a long period of absence. My next high school reunion is coming up in 2007. Maybe I could take my yearbook to one of those experts who project by computer how someone would look years later. It would prepare me in advance so that I wouldn't say something stupid like" Gee, Sally, you sure look pretty for a fat woman." Honey, do you think that Rogaine stuff really works?
I wonder which gene really determines a person's sense of direction. Mine is horrible. We used to live in a small town with one fork in the road. I always asked my wife which way to get downtown whenever we came to that crossroad. Maybe a surgeon could implant one of those tracking systems in my head, and I would be "cured". With my luck the satellite would go on the blink while I was on the way to an important meeting or appointment. I envy people who can go to a place once, and remember even years later how to get back. I just thought of something--- maybe people like me are the ones looking for Osama Bin Laden!
" You may not have saved a lot of money in your life, but if you have saved a lot of heartaches for other folks, you are a pretty rich person."
__ Seth Parker
See you later.
Tim