Tuesday, September 12, 2006

 

Donald Trump or Mother Teresa ?
















A number of years ago, my pastor preached a sermon on a subject that is now frankly a bit hazy in my memory, but a key element of it remained in my brain. At times it was kind of buried in the recesses of my mind, shoved aside by all of the other big problems of the day. Then again, it could occupy the center stage of my thoughts, refusing to be diminished no matter how hard I tried. He was talking about the concept of service to humankind, and posed this question--- " If you had your choice of being Donald Trump or Mother Teresa, which one would you choose?" Not a single disparaging remark was made about Mr. Trump when this question was asked. In our upper middle class church congregation, I recalled that things got to where you could almost hear the squirming in the seats. If the pastor had stopped to actually hear everyone's individual answer at that point, I believe that CPR and oxygen could not have helped some folks.

For my part, I could never get this question out of my mind. Over the years, I have chastised my pastor for causing more than one sleepless night over this issue. Of course what has really happened is that I have been forced to come to grips with my own answer. I could never hope to achieve the record of financial success of "The Donald" or be as revered as the Mother to the poor masses, but I choose to at least aim for having some sort of positive impact of service to others before my life ends.

Which one would you rather be?

" God hasn't called me to be successful. He's called me to be faithful"
- Mother Teresa

" I like making deals, preferably big deals. That's how I get my kicks."
- Donald Trump

See you later.

Tim

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?